Teaching the Culinary Arts
"A culinary educator and CCP (IACP-Certified Culinary Professional), I specialize in teaching baking and the pastry arts. My goal as a cooking teacher is to make these skills accessible to the home baker, to remove any perception of fear-of-baking, to show that anyone can do it.
"When I teach, I like to explain basic food chemistry and fundamentals of technique to remove mystery and magic and replace it with fun, understanding, and a sense of ease.
"The greatest gift I can give a student is the confidence to cook creatively — to make a pie, bread, or a birthday cake, for example, to bake for their family and friends. Sharing food you make with your own hands is a basic act of love, and one that actually empowers the baker, bringing a quick reward (yummy snacks), personal satisfaction (pride in knowing you did it), and praise, (applause, take a bow).
"I have had students tell me that learning to make a simple pie crust with ease has actually changed their life! Of course, it is not that simple, but little things do make a big difference. Learning to bake is a simple pleasure, but one that I believe adds to life's enjoyment."
King Arthur Flour Gingerbread House Workshop with Susan and Cassandra Purdy.
Partial List, Baking Classes and Workshops
- King Arthur Baking Education Center, Norwich, VT
- New England Culinary Institute (NECI), Essex, VT
- Peter Kump’s Cooking School (now ICE), New York
- Cambridge School of Culinary Arts, Cambridge, MA
- Draeger’s Culinary Center, Palo Alto, CA
- Epicurious Rice Markets, Houston, TX
- Cooks Street School of Cooking, Denver, CO
- Silo Cooking School, New Milford, CT
- Sur la Table, San Francisco, CA
- Williams Sonoma, Boston, Cleveland, Seattle
- Kings Cooking Schools, New Jersey
- Loretta Pagannini School of Cooking, Cleveland
- Dorothy Lane Market Cooking School, Dayton, OH
- Jungle Jim’s Cooking School, Cincinnati, OH
- DeGustibus, Macy’s, New York
- Las Cosas Cooking School, Santa Fe, NM
- Santa Fe School of Cooking, Santa Fe, NM
- Sazon Cooking School,
Hotel Casa de Sierra Nevada, San Miguel de Allende, MX
- Casa de Cocinas, San Miguel de Allende, MX
Partial list, Special Baking Seminars
- Bake & Blog: King Arthur Baking Education Center, Norwich, VT
- Rhode Island School of Design
- Bakers’ Dozen, San Francisco
- Hahnemann Hospital, Philadelphia, PA
- University Hospital Synergy Culinary School, Cleveland, OH
- Taste of Provence Cooking School, Mas de Loup, France
- Recipe Writing Workshop/ Culinary Journalism Workshop:
Cambridge School of Culinary Arts, Cambridge, MA
- High Altitude Baking Workshop, Salt Lake City, UT
High Altitude Baking Seminar, Salt Lake City 2005:
(L to R) Ruth Kendrick, Mary Cech, Greg Patent, Letty Flatt, Susan G. Purdy,